For many years, it was assumed that inflammation is a self-limiting process, but discoveries showed the presence of an active process, that is promoted by a group of molecules called specialized-pro resolving mediators (SPM).
How SPMs help to reduce inflammation?
Let’s imagine this nice analog.
There is a pipe leaking inside your home wall.. this will damage the surrounding structures and it must be fixed early, isn’t it?
This pipe likes an injury or infection in your body, that affects the surrounding tissues and triggers the inflammation process.
You will call workers for help, to make a hall in the wall to get access to the pipe. once the damage from the leak has been contained, you will start to cut out affected structures.
This is actually what happens in case of injury, the injury sends signals to the immune system and calls the immune cells (neutrophils) to contain the damage. then the immune cells will kill the infected cells beyond repair.
Now, this mess needs to be cleared for workers to repair the pipe, then the finishing touches restore the wall as if nothing ever happened.
Here is the role of SPMs respectively
- to tell neutrophils its role is done.
- Then calls another immune cell (macrophages) to clear the mess from inflammation and to get rid of the dead cells.
- then tell macrophages your job is done.
- Finally, tell the tissue to restore its healthy position and the body to resume its normal activity. as if nothing ever happened.
What is SPM?
Specialized pro-resolving mediators are lipid mediators present in our body derived from poly-unsaturated fatty acids,
It demonstrated to have an important role in inflammation by preventing overaction of the causative organism, promoting the resolution of inflammation.
SPMs are derived from poly-unsaturated fatty acids like AA(Arachidonic acid), EPA(Eicosapentaenoic acid(, and DHA(docosahexaenoic acid).
It has a potential therapeutic role in the body. Because chronic or uncontrolled inflammation plays a key role in a variety of diseases like; cardiovascular diseases and metabolic syndrome.
Who may have reduced levels of SPMs?
- It decreases with age.
- Decreases due to obesity.
- Decreases due to genetic variations.
- Chronic stress may reduce the production of SPMs.
- People with depression and other mental health problems.
- For physical discomfort from everyday activities.
SPMs and chronic pain:
Chronic pain is one of the most frequent and difficult-to-manage clinical issues in medical practice, it is highly related to disorders leading to disability.
Chronic pain affects the quality of life-related to physical activities and restrictions of mobility, as well as anxiety and depression.
What causes chronic pain?
Uncontrolled inflammation, especially neuroinflammation, is the main pathophysiologic component of chronic pain.
Is SPM active can be used to manage chronic pain? How?
Recent studies have shown anti-nociceptive effects for specialized pro-resolving mediators (SPMs).
They are important regulators of the balance between pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory substances. They also might regulate the excessive sensitization of nociceptors after inhibiting specialized channels, therefore achieving the suppression of pain.
Evidence that supports SPM Active use for chronic pain:
There is a meta-analysis(the strongest type of clinical study) done by Goldberg et al included 17 trials that evaluate the pain-relieving effects of SPMs on patients with rheumatoid arthritis and related joint disorders of inflammatory diseases and dysmenorrhea.
The study showed that SPM supplementation reduced the patient-reported joint pain and intensity and morning stiffness.
SPMs and mental health;
SPMs may have the capacity for modulation of neuroinflammation like the pain results from the connection between immune and nervous cells. Chronic uncontrolled inflammation is associated with mental health disorders like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorders, and schizophrenia.
Role of SPM Active for mental health:
SPM production may be impaired with mental health problems like depression, and mood disorders are also associated with chronic inflammation, which is controlled by SPMs, so SPM Active can be beneficial for mental health problems such as depression and mood disorders.
Recent evidence showed that any alteration in SPMs function may cause proinflammatory and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis(MS).⁴
SPMs active and sports performance:
Athletics and sports practitioners are always susceptible to injuries and inflammation, that may reduce their performance and recovery, so it is important to support them with a compound that resolves the inflammation without compromising the immune response. This is the role of SPM Active.
Can SPMs active enhance athletic performance?
Yes, SPMs may help in sports performance. it supports natural recovery from injuries and inflammation and helps to sustain performance.
It also promotes the reduction of pain and tissue regeneration.
A study showed that fish oil supplements (DHA&EPA), the main active ingredient of SPM active, can help in muscle recovery, cognition, and cardiovascular dynamics in cyclists. It also helps in pro-inflammatory cell responses and increases lipid peroxidation and post-exercise nitric oxide.
Choosing the best SPMs supplement:
To choose the best SPM supplement you should take care of some points like, the producing company must follow the quality requirements, and the formula must have undergone clinical studies to discover the potential benefits from it. you should also read the label of the supplement to ensure it is according to your needs.
How to read supplement labels?
- Suggested use and serving size: located at the top of the supplement’s label, and directions on how often to take the supplement.
- Supplement facts panel: includes important details like the number of calories, fats, and macro, and micronutrients.
- Percent of daily value: define how much the nutrient in a single serving of the dietary contributes to your daily diet.
- Ingredients: includes anything used to make the supplement.
- Cautions and warnings: show any allergies or drug interactions. You must contact your pharmacist to take all precautions about any medicine.
Other information included in the supplement label like pill size and storage conditions.
You can check the supplement label of our ultimate SPM supplement, SPM Active., Which is clinically studied, And The online access to quality test information for every batch assures the quality of the product,(see the product info).
In conclusion, the inflammation process must be controlled by SPMs molecules, Hence the role of SPM is active in the healing process and neuroinflammation and mental health, athletics, and sports performance.
- Patient Resources
- Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators in Neuroinflammation: Overview of Studies and Perspectives of Clinical Applications
- Specialized Pro-Resolving Lipid Mediators: The Future of Chronic Pain Therapy?
- Specialized Pro-resolving Lipid Mediators and Glial Cells: Emerging Candidates for Brain Homeostasis and Repair
- Are There Benefits from the Use of Fish Oil Supplements in Athletes? A Systematic Review
Can SPM Active be used to improve mental health? This article examines the potential benefits of SPM Active for mental health and explores the evidence behind it.