Role of Vitamins on The Adrenal Health
What Can Damage Adrenals?
In some cases adrenal glands may fail to produce hormones required for the body to function; the term adrenal insufficiency knows this. This deficiency may sometimes be life-threatening!
Types of adrenal insufficiency:
- Primary Adrenal Insufficiency: This happens due to a pathology impacting the adrenal glands.
- Secondary adrenal insufficiency: This happens due to a decrease in the adrenocorticotrophin hormone levels (ACTH) coming from the pituitary gland.
- Tertiary Adrenal Insufficiency: This happens due to a decrease in the corticotrophin-releasing hormone (CRH) released from the hypothalamus.
Some Common Cause Of Adrenal Insufficiency:
- Primary Adrenal Insufficiency Causes:
– Autoimmune destruction of the adrenal cortex.
-Adrenal hemorrhage (Patients using anticoagulants – Bleeding Tendency – After surgery)
-Infections (HIV, syphilis, tuberculosis)
-Certain medications (Etomidate, ketoconazole, fluconazole, metyrapone, Phenytoin & rifampin)
-Panhypopituitarism (Rare condition with low or no anterior pituitary hormones production)
- Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency Causes:
-Pituitary hemorrhage or Infarction (low blood supply causing tissue damage)
-hypophysectomy (pituitary glands are removed surgically in case of cancer or benign tumor)
-High dose pituitary Radiation.
- Tertiary adrenal insufficiency causes:
-Abrupt withdrawal from long-term steroid use.
Which Vitamins Are Good for the Adrenal Insufficiency?
- Vitamin C: The adrenal gland is rich in vitamin C as the adrenal cortex and the medulla accumulate such high concentrations of ascorbate. Ascorbic acid is a cofactor required for catecholamine and steroid synthesis. Therefore Vitamin C is considered essential in promoting adrenal hormone synthesis.
- Vitamin D: It’s suggested that it may have a therapeutic or even a prophylactic role in adrenal diseases. However, this hypothesis needs more clinical trials to be proven.
Do B vitamins Affect Adrenal Glands?
Current evidence suggests that intake of B vitamins including B6, B9, and B12 may have a direct effect on mood and stress, this affects the endocrine system and the related diurnal cortisol secretion from the adrenal glands.
B)Role of Vitamins on the Central Nervous System:
B vitamins such as vitamin B1 (thiamine), B6 (pyridoxine), and B12 (cobalamin) play an essential role in maintaining a healthy nervous system. B vitamins deficiency may cause numerous neurological conditions (such as peripheral neuropathy) and their intake can improve central nervous system health even without the presence of Vitamin B deficiency.
What Heals the Nervous System?
- Vitamin B1: Provide energy for the synthesis of nucleic acids, neurotransmitters, and myelin which are important elements of the nervous system. Also, vitamin B1 is thought to obtain an antioxidant role, so it protects the body from oxidative stress and CNS damage.
- Vitamin B6: protects neurons (nerve cells) and helps in the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, serotonin, etc…
- Vitamin B12: Helps in myelin synthesis, regenerates peripheral nerves and it’s important for the treatment of neuropathy.
Which Supplements Are Important for the Nervous System?
- B Vitamins: act as a coenzyme in the nervous system. vitamins B1, B6, and B12 when taken together improve motor control and decrease neuropathic pain.
- Melatonin: protects cells in the case of neurodegenerative disorder by reversing inflammatory damage.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Important for neurotransmission and neurogenesis. Omega 3 fatty acids play a main role in brain development, performance, and aging and their deficiency leads to many neurological conditions.
- Magnesium: It’s a mineral that is important in neuroprotection, neuromuscular conduction, and nerve transmission. It can protect the nervous system against toxicity, thus improving many neurological disorders.
- Bacopa monnieri: It is a medicinal plant that treats various neurological disorders, repairs damaged neurons, helps in neuronal synthesis and synaptic activity, and improves learning, cognitive function, and concentration.
- Withania somnifera: it’s a medicinal plant that is used traditionally in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, nervous exhaustion, and insomnia.
- Acorus calamus: It’s a medicinal plant, what makes it amazing is that almost all parts of the plant have proven valuable in the treatment of neurological disorders.
- St. John’s wort: It is an important herbal remedy that is used in the treatment of various neurological disorders.
How Can You Fix Your Nervous System Naturally?
You can fortify your nervous system naturally by ingesting food rich in B vitamins such as food found in animal proteins, leafy greens, dairy products, and beans.
Dietary sources of B vitamins:
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine):
-Fortified Processed food (e.g., cereals, bread, dairy products, infant formulas, etc…)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Pyridoxine is found in starchy vegetables, noncitrus fruits, poultry, beef, and fortified cereals.
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin, cyanocobalamin, methylcobalamin)
Cobalamin is found in animal products and fortified foods.
Should You Take B12 or B Complex?
It’s better to take B vitamins in the form of a combination to benefit from the synergistic effect and to get more added value.
How To Get The Best Supplement Used in Promoting Nervous System and Adrenal Health? (Welltopia)
Well-B Complex is a balanced and comprehensive B complex supplement that contains eight essential B vitamins, along with choline and inositol. Well-B Complex Can:
- Promote Nervous System, Immune, and Adrenal Health.
- Support Neurotransmitter Production For A Positive Mood.
- Protect Against Stress-Induced Nutrient Depletion.
- Support Healthy Methylation and Carbohydrate Metabolism.
Well-B Complex Ingredients:
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
- Niacin (as Niacinamide USP*)
- Vitamin B6
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin)
- Pantothenic Acid
- Choline Bitartrate
- B Vitamins in the nervous system: Current knowledge of the biochemical modes of action and synergies of thiamine, pyridoxine, and cobalamin
- B Vitamins: Functions and Uses in Medicine
- Dietary Supplements in neurological diseases and brain aging
- Adrenal Insufficiency- NCBI
- Vitamin D and adrenal gland: Myth or reality? A systematic review
- Vitamin C is an important cofactor for both the adrenal cortex and adrenal medulla
- The Effects of Multivitamin Supplementation on Diurnal Cortisol Secretion and Perceived Stress
- A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of B Vitamin Supplementation on Depressive Symptoms, Anxiety, and Stress: Effects on Healthy and ‘At-Risk’ Individuals
One thought on “The Best Supplement Used in Promoting Nervous System And Adrenal Health”
This is an excellent blog, indeed. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I learned a lot. Keep on posting!