A. The popularity of Echinacea purpurea as a herbal supplement
Echinacea is known for many years for its ability to stimulate immunity. Echinacea purpurea is known by the name of purple coneflower, its origin is in North America. what makes Echinacea purpurea popular is its amazing activities that can help the body to fight numerous diseases.
B. Overview of Echinacea’s potential health benefits
In the past few years, Echinacea purpurea’s effect in supporting immunity was highly appraised. Over time it was discovered that Echinacea has other benefits as it can help in wound healing, improve skin health, act as an antioxidant, and many more…
C. Purpose of the article: To provide a comprehensive guide on Echinacea extract
In people’s thoughts, Echinacea is used only in supporting the immune system; The purpose of this article is to provide a comprehensive guide on Echinacea extract, its health benefits, different side effects, precautions, and the best Echinacea purpurea extract supplement available on the market.
ll. What is Echinacea Extract?
A. Definition of Echinacea plants
Echinacea plants are flowering plants that have various types. They are known by the name of coneflowers.
B. The history and traditional uses of Echinacea
The first Echinacea preparation (called Meyers Blood Purifier) was introduced to the market in 1880, with neuralgia, rheumatism, and rattlesnake bite treatment as indications. At the start of the 20th century, Echinacea was one of the most frequently used plant preparation in the USA.
Historically, Echinacea was used in various indications such as:
A)Internal applications for:
- Stomach Cramps
- Snake Bites.
B)External applications for:
- Insect bites
- Toothache or Throat
- infections (by chewing the plant roots)
III. Health Benefits of Echinacea Extract
A) Immune system support
Echinacea extract contains several components that are capable of supporting the Immune system and boosting its ability to fight different diseases.
B) Cold and flu prevention and treatment
Echinacea is used in the common cold and flu season as it might minimize the chances of catching a cold.
C) Anti-inflammatory properties
The continuous use of Echinacea can reverse the inflammatory damage produced by a trigger (like viral infection).
D) Wound healing and skin health
Echinacea purpurea preparation when applied on the skin can act as an anti-inflammatory, improves skin texture, and decrease dryness, erythema, and pruritus. Furthermore, Echinacea’s antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties are perfect for the skin healing process!
E) Other potential benefits and ongoing research
Besides the use of Echinacea purpurea in supporting the immune system, reducing inflammation, and in wound healing, it’s suggested that it may also be used as an Antioxidant, antiviral, antifungal, etc…
IV. How to Use Echinacea Extract
A. Forms of Echinacea supplements
Echinacea is available in different forms, here are some examples:
- Oral capsule
- Throat spray
Echinacea is produced in different forms and from different plant parts and types, this variation makes dose determination tricky. You must consult your doctor before using Echinacea for a long duration and to know the suitable dose for your condition.
C.Tips for choosing a high-quality Echinacea supplement
You must buy Echinacea preparation from a reputable pharmacy that provides complete and clear information on the preparation and its ingredients.
V. Precautions and Potential Side Effects
A. Common side effects and allergic reactions
Using Echinacea preparation for a short time is probably safe (The safety of long-term use is not known yet). Common side effects of Echinacea are nausea, vomiting, gastric pain, constipation, heartburn, diarrhea, and rash.
Some individuals may undergo an allergic reaction when they use Echinacea.
B. Drug interactions and contraindications
- Echinacea & Caffeine: Echinacea may increase caffeine levels in the blood, which could cause headaches or a fast heartbeat.
- Echinacea & Immunosuppressants: Echinacea may decrease the efficacy of medications that suppress immunity as Echinacea act as an immune stimulant.
- Echinacea & Warfarin: Echinacea might increase warfarin breakdown in the body, This will increase the risk of blood clot formation.
- Some medications are affected by Echinacea as it could change how quickly the liver breaks down these medications.
- Echinacea might increase the side effects of some medications or decrease their efficacy, some examples are Etoposide, Midazolam, Darunavir, Taxotere, etc…
Echinacea is contraindicated in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, multiple sclerosis, tuberculosis, and HIV infection. It is contraindicated because it might worsen the symptoms or interact with the medications used in the treatment.
C) Special considerations for pregnant or breastfeeding women and children
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
The safety of Echinacea during pregnancy or breastfeeding remains unclear.
Some of the children who take echinacea will develop rashes, this may be due to an allergic reaction response.
VI Why Do We Recommend ViraWin?
ViraWin is a powerful botanical supplement that is rich in numerous active ingredients. ViraWin supports immunity and at the same time, it maintains a normal inflammatory balance.
ViraWin Ingredients and their benefits:
- Echinacea Purpurea Extract: activates multiple aspects of immune function including enhancing leukocyte and granulocyte counts.
- Zinc: works synergistically with vitamin A in activating thymic factor, a thymus hormone with vital immune-supporting properties.
- Vitamin C: provides antioxidant support by protecting cells against reactive oxygen species that are generated during normal inflammatory responses.
- Vitamin A: supports the immune system by stimulating white blood cell function and increasing antibody response.
- L-Lysine: an essential amino acid that cannot be synthesized in the body on its own, many biological functions require lysine including boosting immune defense.
- Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5): Maintaining optimal Pantothenic Acid levels is crucial for supporting immune system energy, thymic function, and healthy white blood cell levels.
- Black Elderberry Extract: enhance immune cell-killing potential by supporting healthy cytokine production.
- Astragalus Root Extract: native to northern China and has been traditionally used to strengthen the immune system.
- Andrographis Leaf Extract: provides strong antioxidant support due to its ability to activate highly protective antioxidant reactions including superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione-S-transferase.
- Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench: Biological and Pharmacological Properties. A Review – NIH
- [History of a plant: the example of Echinacea]
- Echinacea purpurea: Pharmacology, phytochemistry and analysis methods
- Echinacea – NIH
- Echinacea – Uses, Side Effects, And More – WebMD
- Echinacea as an anti-inflammatory agent: the influence of physiologically relevant parameters
- Echinacea – drugs.com