Do you know that IBS affects about 11% of the world population and 12% of the US population?!
It is a chronic condition that can reduce the quality of life and work productivity.
So it was very important to shed light on this condition
What Is IBS?
Irritable bowel syndrome is a condition in which you suffer from repeated pain in your abdomen with changes in bowel movement, diarrhea or constipation, or both.
There are three types of IBS:
1. IBS with diarrhea (IBS-D).
2. IBS with constipation (IBS-C).
3. IBS mixed with diarrhea or constipation alternatively (IBS-M).
It is important to know the type to select the diagnostic tests and symptomatic treatment.
What Are The Best Supplement Treat IBS And Diarrhea?
The target of treatment of IBS is to relieve symptoms and improve the quality of life.
New evidence suggests the use of certain diets and supplements like;
Probiotics: are live microorganisms present in the gut that produce health benefits.
Over 18 research clinical trials assessed the efficacy of probiotics in the treatment of IBS in the past 15 years.
Peppermint oil: it provides muscle relaxation, changes in contraction and motility, and alteration of pain sensitivity.
It has been used for its benefits on IBS since the 1700s.
Dietary therapy: there are foods that help with IBS, carbohydrates, and histamines.
High levels of histamines can treat symptoms like nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
Histamine and other biogenic amines occur in fish, fermented foods, and vegetables.
Low FODMAP Diet: a diet that acts on lowering the amount of poorly absorbed, fermentable carbohydrates.
FODMAP is an abbreviation for fermentable oligo, di, monosaccharides, and polyols.
FODMAP foods affect the colon through bacterial fermentation, which produces high levels of hydrogen and methane gases.
High FODMAP diets cause pain and gas/bloating and changes in bowel movements.
So using of low FODMAP diet helps in relieving symptoms of IBS.
The Multidimensional Benefits of Saccharomyces Boulardii Supplement for IBS:
Saccharomyces boulardii is a probiotic used for a long time in the treatment of diarrhea,
including infectious diarrhea.
lt helps to maintain the balance of good microorganisms in the gut
- Keeps the gut and intestine functioning well.
- Improves the balance of bowel movements, therefore treats diarrhea.
- Boosts the immune function.
- Promotes a healthy intestinal barrier function, preventing substances such as allergenic compounds and undigested food and toxins from leaking into the bloodstream.
Results With Saccharomyces Boulardii Supplement:
There were 27 trials done in 2010 showed that saccharomyces boulardii is significantly effective and safe for the treatment of IBS, and has been used safely in infants and children as well.
In another study,37 patients received saccharomyces boulardii and 35 patients received the placebo. The S.boulardii group showed a significant improving the cytokine profile, histology, and quality of life of patients with IBS-D.
Best vitamins to help IBS:
Vitamin D: studies suggest that vitamin D supplementation was good for IBS treatment.
Vitamin B12: it helps in the treatment of iron deficiency which is predominant in IBS patients, so prevents manifestations of anemia.
Folic acid: it is very good for bowel health, and it’s noticed that being low in IBS patients.
Vitamin B complex: they are manufactured in the small intestine and may be lost during diarrhea.
They help in brain function so important for IBS patients who suffer from depression.
Vitamin B also decreases the stress which may be the cause of IBS.
You should ask your healthcare provider about herbs you need to try.
You can check the Welltopia vitamin B complex.
Vitamin E: it is an antioxidant that has a soothing and calming effect on the bowel which reduces inflammation, but containing a lubricant oil makes it useful for IBS with constipation(IBS-C) rather than (IBS-D).
What Helps IBS diarrhea Permanently?
Recovery from IBS depends on:
1. Changing your lifestyle like eating, You should avoid certain foods :
- high FODMAP foods, like onions and carbohydrates.
- Fried or fatty foods.
- Milk and dairy products.
- Caffeine in coffee, tea, and soda.
- 2. Probiotics: they are microorganisms, usually bacteria, that are similar to good bacteria in your digestive tract.
It is called good bacteria because it is very important for your gut and colon health and digestion.
It improves overall stool frequency, gut transient time, and stool consistency.
3. Mental health therapies by:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: changing thought and behavior patterns to improve IBS
- Gut-directed hypnotherapy: the doctor uses hypnosis to improve IBS.
- Relaxation training: to relax your muscles and reduce stress.
4. Medicines: like loperamide® for treating diarrhea
To be safe, You should talk to a healthcare provider before taking any medicine and ask for the correct doses and instructions.
What probiotics are best for irritable bowel syndrome?
Treatment of IBS with probiotics is the best choice because it provides efficacy and safety. The most useful probiotics:
- Sacchromyces boulardii.
- Lactobacillus sp.
- Bifidobacterium sp.
- Streptococcus sp.
Does Saccharomyces Boulardii Supplement Help With IBS?
S.boulardii is the most effective probiotic for the treatment of IBS-D.
You have in your digestive tract and mucosal secretions an immunoglobulin called igA.
IgA immunoglobulin is crucial for immune health, particularly of the GI system by attaching and neutralizing proteins that are unrecognized by the body.
S.boulardii supports gastrointestinal health by boosting the secretion of IgA immunoglobulin.
It also decreases levels of CRP(C.reactive protein), an indicator of the inflammatory response, therefore decreasing the inflammation.
Does IBS Get Worse With Age?
Unfortunately yes..symptoms onset after age 50 years:
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Evidence of gastrointestinal blood loss.
- Unexplained iron deficiency anemia.
How long Does It Take Supplement To Work IBS?
It may be used for eight weeks, less or more according to recovery, Higher doses of a single probiotic strain show greater benefits.
When Is The Best Time To Take Supplement Morning Or Night?
The best-suggested use for adults: One capsule in the morning and one capsule at night, Or as directed by a healthcare professional.
What Causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome To Flare Up?
Factors that help in the development of IBS include:
- Alterations in the gut microbiome.
- Intestinal permeability.
- Gut immune function.
- Visceral sensation.
- Brain-gut interactions.
- Physiological status.
What Is The Best Supplement To Take For Gas And Bloating?
- Low FODMAP diets.
- Probiotics like saccharomyces boulardii.
Does Saccharomyces Boulardii Supplement Relieves Diarrhea ?
Yes, it is very effective in relieving diarrhea as it promotes the balance of gastrointestinal motility and the balance of good flora in the gut, and it also boosts the immune function of the GIT.
Does Saccharomyces Boulardii Supplement Cause Constipation?
There are infrequent reports of constipation, but there is no scientific evidence that it causes constipation.
On the other side, there is a study showed a significant role of s.boulardii in combination with lactulose in treating functional children constipation, (8).
Choosing The Best Supplements For IBS And Diarrhea Today :
As we know, the goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms and improve the quality of life.
You should discuss with your healthcare provider about your symptoms to get the best
You can contact with Welltopia team at any time to get your consultation.
How Do You Get the Best Supplement For IBS And Diarrhea?
Saccharomyces boulardii® formula is the best probiotic supplement for irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea.
Why we Recommend welltopia Saccharomyces Boulardii for IBS and diarrhea?
1. It is free of dairy, nuts, gluten, lactose, and GMO
2. It is freeze-dried and strain verified through genetic typing, this ensures maximum efficacy.
3. Each capsule contains 5 billion CFUs of this health-supporting probiotic.
(CFUs are the colony forming units, a unit of measurement of bacterial cells in
a probiotic supplement. The high number of CFUs means high quality).
- Irritable bowel syndrome: a clinical review
- “Let Food Be Thy Medicine”: Diet and Supplements in Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Saccharomyces Boulardii
- Cytokine and clinical response to Saccharomyces boulardii therapy in diarrhea-dominant irritable bowel syndrome a randomized trial
- The efficacy of vitamin D supplementation for irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review with meta-analysis
- Natural Treatments for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – NIDDK
- Saccharomyces boulardii and Lactulose for Childhood Functional Constipation: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial